The Pan‑handlers are a versatile 3–18 piece steel drum band based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The Pan‑handlers steel drum band was founded by Chops, Inc. Drum and Bugle Corps, serving as an alternative performance ensemble for those members interested in keeping their musical hobby going without the rigors of marching.
You might see The Pan‑handlers at the same parades you usually see Chopstix Percussion, Top Chops Brass, and Hot Chops Color Guard. You’ll also find us at festivals, parties, and other events any time of year.
The Pan‑handlers can play as a steel drum duet or trio with recorded rhythm section, as a full 18 piece steel drum band with a live rhythm section, or any combination of instrumentation in between, making appearances possible for virtually any event or venue. Our song list continues to grow, including everything from The Beatles to Bob Marley, from traditional to modern. If there’s a particular song or two that you’d like at your event, we can learn it for you.
Some examples from our usual set-list are:
• Amber | 311 • Bee’s Melody | Lord Kitchener • Birthday Party | Len “Boogsie” Sharpe
• Both of Them | Mighty Sparrow • Brown Eyed Girl | Van Morrison • Call Me Maybe | Carly Rae Jepsen
• Cantina Band | John Williams • Free Bird | Lynyrd Skynyrd • Grenade | Bruno Mars • Hard Times | Len “Boogsie” Sharpe
• Here Comes The Sun | The Beatles • Hot Hot Hot | Arrow • I’m Yours | Jason Mraz
• Jamaica Farewell | Harry Belafonte • Jammin’ | Bob Marley • Late In The Evening | Paul Simon
• Limbo Rock | Chubby Checker • Me & Julio | Simon & Garfunkel • Moon Dance | Van Morrison • My Band | Ray Holman
• Natural Mystic | Bob Marley • ObLaDi ObLaDa | The Beatles • Rant and Rave | Christopher “Tambu” Herbert
• Royals | Lorde • Take Five | Paul Desmond/Dave Brubeck • Take On me | A-ha • Trinidad Blue Basin | Traditional
• Three Little Birds | Bob Marley • Under the Sea | Menken/Ashman • Yellow Bird | Traditional
Ask about adding a specific song for your event!
The instruments used by The Pan‑handlers are Trinidadian steel drums, a relatively new instrument which originated as nothing more than a series of notes shaped from the bottom of an old oil barrel! The steel drums, or pans, that we use today are of much higher quality than the typical oil barrel used to allow.
All of our pans are meticulously hand-crafted by master tuner and builder Steve Lawrie. Learn more about Steve and the beautiful instruments he creates at his page www.pantuner.com.